By Keoma McCaffrey
This cowboy hat ornament will look great on your Christmas tree. Download the step-by-step article and and pattern below.
• Pine, 23/4″ x 21/2″ x 11/2″ (70mm x 64mm x 38mm)
• Sanding sponge: medium/fine grit
• Wire, jute, or twine
• Instant coffee (optional)
• Non-toxic markers (optional)
• Spar varnish (optional)
• Glue (optional)
• Small bell (optional)
• Rotary tool
• Bits: flame-shaped carbide-point, ballshaped carbide-point bit, small cylinder-shaped fluted, small-tapered fluted pointed, assorted bits of choice
For more information read Handcarved Christmas (Best of WCI). Giving a handcarved Christmas ornament or gift is as much fun as it is to make one. Includes projects for caricature ornaments, whittled pencils, a folk art tree topper whittled pencils, and more. The book is available for $19.95 plus S&H at www.foxchapelpublishing.com.
Check out more great articles from Woodcarving Illustrated Holiday 2015 (Issue 73).