Do you have a great new carving you can’t wait to share with the world?
This is your chance to show it off—and maybe collect some cash! Presenting the 2016 Woodcarving Illustrated People’s Choice Awards.
- Instead of one big contest, we’ll be running small contests all year, one or two categories at a time. You’ll know the deadlines ahead of time and be able to plan your entries in advance.
- Cash prizes! Winners in each category will receive $50 for first place, $30 for second place, and $20 for third place.
- Submit as many entries as you like during the entry period for the each contest—it’s always free to enter! Then, the staff of Woodcarving Illustrated will choose up to 10 designs in each category.
- The Editors’ Choice Award winners will be posted on our website to compete for the People’s Choice Awards via public voting. Vote for your favorites, and share the contest with your friends so they can vote, too!
- The People’s Choice Award winners will be published in Woodcarving Illustrated and announced on the magazine website. We’ll send those cash prizes and a nice certificate for your wall.
- Plus! All entries will be considered for possible paid publication as projects in Woodcarving Illustrated.
Categories and Deadlines:
The theme for the first contest is Realistic Mammals (not human): Painted & Unpainted. Deer, cats, dogs, bears, wolves, monkeys, giraffes … you name it. We’re looking for your best realistic mammals. Size and shape don’t matter; it can be a miniature bust, a half-size relief, or a full-sized figure in the round.
Realistic animals not your thing? Start planning your entries for the next contest! (Please help us stay organized by waiting for the entry period for each contest to send your photos.)
- Please send one high-resolution or professionally printed photo of your entry, along with the following information: Category (Painted or Unpainted), carving name, size, type of wood, tools (hand vs. power), and story/inspiration, if any. Also, include your name, address, and e-mail address. If you do not have e-mail, include a phone number instead. See the Rules for important entry details (visit online, or send an SASE to request a printed copy).
- E-mail your entries to: email@example.com with a subject of “WCI Contest #Mammals16.” Or, mail to: WCI Contest #Mammals16, Fox Chapel Publishing, 1970 Broad St., East Petersburg PA 17520. Entries must be received by October 15, 2015.
- All entries must be original designs created by the entrant. They cannot be made from, inspired by, or variations of anyone else’s pattern or roughout; they cannot be class projects; no one else can have helped with the carving. By entering, you verify that your entry is your own creation.
Special thanks to our friends at Chipping Away for sponsoring the prizes for Contest 2.
Special thanks to our friends at King Arthur’s Tools for sponsoring the cash prizes for the first contest!